How to discipline your dog ?
Dogs are the friendliest creature on earth, but lots of love can make them undisciplined. They must be taught some habits to live easily with human. Though, there are many ways, how to discipline your dog, but be careful when using them that you are disciplining your dog while they are doing the bad behavior and not after they’ve quit. Like, if your dog is barking continuously and every time you come to him, he stops barking and you yell at him, he may not get that you are yelling at him for barking earlier. If you yell at him every time when he barks at someone, he might get associate you, barking with other people showing up and assume the other people are bad. You don’t yell at him when they aren’t around, right?
How to discipline your dog
Here are few ways to discipline your dog according to the book How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With:
- Distract Them. Shout loudly to distract your puppy from whatever they are doing. A loud yell, a slap on the table or shake a jar with a few pennies in it. This should startle him and focus his attention on you.
- Scruff and Shake. Grab their fur under his ear on his neck and shake – a brief but brisk shake. This works best if you catch them in the act and the scruff and shake is a surprise.
- Put Them Down. Push the puppy down (quickly but gently) either on to his side or onto his back and lean over him. This reinforces that you are dominant on them.
- Isolate Them. Say no and then ignore your puppy. Puppies are very social and they won’t like it that you aren’t paying any attention to them.
- Time-Out. Put the puppy outside for a few minutes and then try the same situation again. Or you can stop playing or interacting with the puppy for a few minutes.
- Squirt Bottles. Say “off” or “no” and squirt your dog at the same time. Water guns make this fun for you. Unfortunately many dogs (and cats) find this a fun game as well.
- Sit Command. Right after saying no, say sit. This gives your dog something else to do other than the bad thing. I’ve also found it effective to just say sit. Usually when they sit they can no longer do whatever it is you didn’t like.